Is Metal Roofing the Right Choice for Your Home in Minnesota?
Choosing the right roof is important as the roof plays a critical role in protecting you, your household, and your belongings from the weather. Some say metal roofing is a good option, which is why it has been gaining popularity all over the United States nowadays.
If you are a homeowner in Minnesota and you’re in the market for a new roof, you might be wondering whether metal roofing is the right choice for your home as well. To help you understand and decide, here’s a quick guide.
What is metal roofing?
Metal roofing is a type of roofing that uses metal such as galvanized steel, stainless steel, copper, aluminum, zinc, titanium, or tin for the roof covering. They can come in shingles, panels, or sheets that are either laid or fastened onto the roof’s structure.
Things to Consider
To determine whether or not metal roofing is the right choice for your home in Minnesota, here are the things you should take into consideration:
- Design and style preference
Metal roofs offer a variety of styles and design options. Know beforehand what you want to achieve with your roof and what look you prefer. It is important that you should also consider your home’s overall appearance.
Will a metal roof match your home’s architectural design? Will the style or color enhance its curb appeal thereby increasing its property value? If yes, then investing in metal roofing might be the right choice.
This is perhaps the biggest factor you should consider. Be realistic and sort in advance how much you’re willing and able to spend for the roof.
If you’re willing to pay a larger amount of money in exchange for a durable and long-lasting roof, then metal roofing may be the right choice.
But if you’re not willing or are unable to put that large amount of money upfront, then metal roofing may not be the right option for you. There are other types of roofs that are relatively cheaper such as asphalt and wood shingles.
Metal roofing has been gaining popularity mainly because of the many benefits and advantages it offers. Here are some of them:
- Metal roofs can withstand wind gusts of up to 140 miles per hour. They are also resistant to fire and impacts, unlike other roofing types and materials.
- Long lifespan. So long as they are properly installed, metal roofs can last for up to 70 years or more. That is basically a lifetime! So if you’re looking for a roof that would stand the test of time, this is a good option.
- Environmentally friendly. Metal roofs are made of 25% to 95% recycled materials and are even recyclable themselves. You won’t have to worry about them ending up in landfills once they reach the end of their lifespan.
- Energy efficient. Metal roofs are really good at insulating homes, which can help reduce your household’s energy consumption by up to 25%.
- Variety of style options. Metal roofing is very versatile. They are designed to mimic wood shakes, slate or clay tiles, and other roofing materials. They even come in a wide array of colors, shapes, and finishes.
Although metal roofs offer many benefits and advantages, it is not flawless. It also has its share of disadvantages and drawbacks that you as a homeowner must also take into consideration.
- Compared to others, metal roofs are relatively more expensive. The materials and installation costs are about two to three times higher since not all roofing contractors have the expertise and experience to handle them.
- Since they are made of metal, they can be noisy during heavy rain, strong winds, or hailstorm. To minimize this, you need to add more insulation in the attic to block the noise, which would mean additional costs as well.
5 Local weather conditions
Always keep the climate in mind in choosing what type of roof to install. Minnesota’s weather is typically very cold in winters and warm and humid during summers, this is why you should choose a roof that will be able to withstand this.
Metal roof is a good option since they can withstand both very cold and hot climates. They provide good insulation as they help keep homes cool and comfortable during summers, and als warm and cozy during winters.
The last factor that you should consider is maintenance. If you want a roof that is basically maintenance-free, then metal roofing is the right choice for your home in Minnesota.
Metal roofs won’t require much maintenance. Just have them periodically inspected to ensure everything is functioning well and that’s it. They’re good to go.
When deciding whether metal roofing is the right choice for your home in Minnesota, it’s best to start with what you want out of your new roof, how much are you willing and able to pay, its pros and cons, whether it can withstand local weather, and maintenance. Once you’ve taken them all into consideration, you will be better equipped in deciding whether metal roofing is also the right option for you.
If you need some help deciding, contact a reputable roofing contractor for expert advice and recommendation. Choose Storm Group Roofing. They are experts in metal roofing and have years of experience under their belt so they can help you decide.